Full Preterism "A skin deep theology"














Refuting Hyper/Full Preterism is EASY TO DO. Here is a good place to start. No need to focus on their Universalism in which they place all in the Age to Come, or New Heavens and Earth. While that is a valid approach, this one is just as deadly to their system.

Paul sees his life is a race. NOTICE 70AD WAS NOT HIS FINISH LINE!!!

(1 Corinthians 9:24) 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.

(Hebrews 12:1) 1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Paul HAD NOT OBTAINED the Prize. Paul was NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO A 70AD FINISH LINE. THAT WAS NOT HIS GOAL. PAUL WAS IN FACT LONGING FOR THE LAST REMAINING ELEMENTS OF THE OLD MAN TO BE PUT OFF, THUS HE WOULD BE WITH CHRIST.
(Philippians 3:13-14) 13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

(Philippians 1:21-24) 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24 yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

The DAY Paul was longing for was a DAY when the last remaining elements of the old man were put off. Paul describes this DAY, WHEN HE WOULD BE WITH THE LORD, as a day of HIS APPEARING. Those "elements" WERE NOT PUT OFF IN 70AD. NOTICE Paul uses a time statement "at hand" to refer to his own death, his own departure, and his own martyrdom.
(2 Timothy 4:6-8) 6 For I am now ready to be offered, and THE TIME of my departure IS AT HAND. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Preterism yet again shows their natural thinking, by maintaining the finish line is in 70AD. They say it is completely fulfilled and yet Paul says "the race is not over, it was not a past event that Jesus, or the 1st century Christians completed for him" And yet, Preterism WANTS you to believe we were made complete by falling stones, and the destruction of physical buildings. They claim, this is what makes you WORTHY to enter "THAT AGE". They want you to believe you are in the "New Heavens and Earth" where righteousness dwells.

The Question is, was Paul longing for 70AD or was he longing for the last remaining elements of the old man to be put off, thus entering into the presence of the Lord? If Paul was longing for the last remnants of the old man to be put off, then Preterism "which focus solely on Past Events" is proven false. Because the END is "at hand" when it is our time for "OUR departure".


http://preteristheresy.blogspot.com/2008/02/full-preterism-skin-deep-theology.html