Walter Balfour (1833): THANKS TO MOSES STUART, I BECAME A UNIVERSALIST

Letters to Rev. Moses Stuart
By Walter Balfour (1833)

(Note: Moses Stuart is a beloved Preterist among most Hyper-Preterists. They sell his books and glorify his writings in every sense of the word. This book consists of letters written to Moses Stuart to convince him that the very views he holds to, are the SAME as that of the Universalists; aka 19th Century Hyper-Preterists. Balfour blames Moses Stuart for converting him to Universalism.)

"I deemed Universalism a great error, sometimes discussed the subject with Universalists and always thought I had the best of the argument. The first thing, which STAGGERED MY FAITH IN THE DOCTRINE OF ENDLESS PUNISHMENT, WAS READING THAT PARAGRAPH OF MR. STUART'S LETTERS TO DR. CHANNING QUOTED IN MY FIRST LETTER. HIS STATEMENTS, I WAS UNABLE TO CONTROVERT, AND THE TEXTS ON WHICH THEY WERE FOUNDED, SEEMED TO SUPPORT THEM." Whether my books, have done any good or evil to the world, they have Mr. Stuart to thank for them. When I wrote those letters, I had as little thought of writing a book in favor of universal salvation, as of creating a new world. All my prejudices, and habits of thinking, as well as my honor and interest, were strongly in favor of the doctrine of endless punishment. TO MR. STUART OF ANDOVER, I AM INDEBTED FOR MAKING ME A UNIVERSALISTS, AND TO HIM THE WORLD ARE INDEBTED FOR MY BOOKS. IF I HAVE EMBRACED AN ERROR, AND HAVE PUBLISHED IT TO THE WORLD, LET ALL WHO THINK SO, KNOW, THAT HE IS THE MAN WHO LED ME ASTRAY; WAS URGED TO GIVE SOME EXPLANATION, BUT DECLINED IT AND THAT NOTHING HAS BEEN SAID BY HIM OR ANY OTHER PERSON, TO SHOW ME MY ERROR." PREFACE